How to Minimise HungerAugust 1, 2019 3:40 pm Comments Off on How to Minimise Hunger
When we walk down the aisles of our local shopping centre, we find ourselves presented with a choice. Will it be fresh fruit to pack for your next morning tea? Or your favourite chocolate bar to help tide you over to the next meal? If you’re trying to lose weight, you need to be savvy about your food choices, even when you’re hungry.
While a little hunger won’t kill you, constant hunger can be the downfall of even the strongest. But just because you are trying to lose weight, doesn’t mean you need to go hungry. Try these simple tips below to help you minimise hunger and stick to your weight loss program.
- Avoid skipping your meals. Eat small, regular meals during the day. That way you don’t have too long until the next meal or snack (make sure to choose healthy options and stick to the recommended portion sizes).
- Keep your fluid intake up. Often we are hungrier when dehydrated. Aim for at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.
- Fill up on salads and non-starchy vegetables. These are low in calories and can help fill you up.
- Snack on veggies between meals e.g. vegetable sticks like carrot, cucumber, celery or cherry tomatoes.
- Make a vegetable soup with low-calorie vegetables as a ready to go snack option.
- Have a cup of tea or two and avoid adding any sugar.
- If you feel like a sweet treat and want to keep the calories low, have some sugar-free jelly or make ice blocks with sugar-free cordial.
- Get busy, sometimes you’re not actually hungry and just need a distraction. Try going for a walk, phoning a friend, doing some housework or doing a crossword.